Western Jewish Americana

Chi Phi Sigma Club scrapbooks and photographs, circa 1937-1993

Chi Phi Sigma was an Oakland, California club for Jewish girls between the ages of 16 and 18. The club was organized in 1937 for social and philanthropic pursuits.

The collection consists of scrapbooks that document the activities of Chi Phi Sigma, a teenage girls club based in Oakland, California, for the years 1937-1943. The scrapbooks have photographs, club documents, newsletters, and copies of newspaper clippings. The collection also contains some undated color photographs that document some later experiences of some of the club's members.

Magnes collection of Western Jewish Americana obituaries and biographies

The collection consists of photocopies of obituaries and biographies for that appeared mainly in Western US Jewish newspapers and newsletters between the early 1970s and the late 2000s. The collection was compiled by long-time Magnes volunteer Mary Hoexter.

Carton 1: Obituaries for San Francisco, A-Z; obituaries for outside San Francisco, A-Gu. Box 1: Obituaries for outside San Francisco, Ha-Ru. Box 2: Obituaries for outside San Francisco, Sa-Z; Biographies, A-Z.

Bresler (Boris) papers, 1939-2000

Boris Bresler was born in 1918 and raised in a Russian émigré Jewish community in Harbin, China. He immigrated to the United States in 1937 and in 1946 joined the faculty in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. Following his retirement from the University he established Benmir Books, a small publishing house specializing in translations, reprints, and original works of high quality on Jewish themes. He also translated Russian prose and poetry into English.

Rader (Sigmund) papers and photographs, 1930-1936

Sigmund Rader was a violin teacher in the San Francisco Bay Area. He was born in 1894 in Pietrokov, Poland and studied music at the Budapest Conservatory of Music. He came to San Francisco in the early 1920s and opened music studios on McAllister Street in San Francisco and at the Leamington Hotel in Oakland. His pupils included Harry Cykman. Rader was the founder and first conductor of the San Francisco Jewish Folk Chorus. He married Adele Feiner in 1928.

Navon (Elliot) Freemason certificate, 1920 Mar. 16

Elliot Navon was born on 10 Mar. 1890, in Constantinople, in the Ottoman Empire; in 1906, he and his family emigrated to the U.S. After he finished agricultural college at Rutgers University, he settled in Chicago. While there, he became a member of Washington Park Lodge, Number 956, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. His lodge initiated him into Freemasonry as an Entered Apprentice, on 2 Mar. 1920, passed him to the degree of Fellowcraft, and raised him as a Master Mason, on 16 Mar. 1920. After he left Chicago, he moved to Argentina and then returned to the U.S.

House of Love and Prayer miscellany, 1968-1977

The House of Love and Prayer was founded in 1967 in San Francisco, California as a Jewish center that combined Hasidic Judaism with the prevailing counter-cultural trends of the 1960s and 1970s. The center was created by followers of Lubavitch emissaries Shlomo Carlebach and Zalman Schachter. Those Jewish baby boomers who became followers of the House of Love and Prayer are sometimes referred to as "Hassidic Hippies." They found in the center a place where they could combine their love of traditional Judaism with their active participation in the counter culture.

Hakoah Athletic Club of San Francisco records, 1946-1953

he Hakoah Athletic Club of San Francisco, a Jewish athletic club, was founded in 1946 and boasted of 300 members by 1953. The organization sought "the physical and cultural development of Jewish youth" through individual and group sport.

Collection consists of a 1946 newsletter (Hakoah News) from the Hakoah Amateur Athletic Club of Los Angeles, California and a press release from 1953 detailing the mission, activities, and history of the Hakoah Athletic Club of San Francisco.

Haselkorn (Abraham) papers, 1940-1980

Abraham Haselkorn achieved recognition for his service as a chaplain during World War II, and particularly for his work with displaced persons and war orphans. After the war, Haselkorn spent a year in Palestine and then accepted a pulpit at Temple Beth Jacob in Menlo Park, California. In 1953, he accepted a pulpit at Temple Beth El in Salinas, where he remained for 20 years.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Western Jewish Americana