- Digital Programs
Camp Kelowa (Huntington Lake) Publicity Book, 1931
Camp Kelowa publicity book
San Francisco, California, 1931
The Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life, Gift of David Kupfer, 2009.27.1
(Louis and Emma Blumenthal papers, BANC MSS 2010/689)
Camp Kelowa, located in Lake Huntington, California, was a camp for Jewish boys established by Louis and Emma (née Loewy) Blumenthal in 1928. Camp activities were documented by the organizers in yearly scrapbooks containing copies of promotional materials, administrative forms, and photographs. The Blumenthals played central roles in San Francisco’s Jewish communal life. Louis was executive director of the YMHA (1924-1933) and the co-founder (with Lloyd W. Dinkelspiel) and executive director of San Francisco’s Jewish Community Center (1933-1959).